Saturday, October 20, 2007

The holes in the fence of SHS

I lived just next to the school beside the tennis court. I could see the teacher teaching. The advantage of living next to the tennis court was I collected a bucket full of tennis balls. I did not recall that there was any incident that the tennis ball broke any window of my house.

Before I was a student of SHS, I studied at Rejang Park Primay School. SHS football fields have been the paradise for the neighbourhood kids although we were not yet SHS students. We reported to the field every afternoon at 2pm and we have to leave at 4pm before the real students of SHS occupied the field.

We entered the field as trespassers. SHS was heavily guided by prefects and how we could enter the compound so easily? The answer was there were holes in the chain link fencing just next to my house.

There were a lot of activities where me and my mates from the neighbourhood do in the field. We caught fish in the small stream, swimming in the lake in front of the scout house, playing ball and flying kites at the field. As trespassers, there is one thing we have to be fast. We have to run faster than Brother Albinus. When he noticed we were there, he will run towards us and try to catch us. Our mate who noticed him will shout " Ah Pai lai liew! " then we will run and disappear by escaping through the holes at the fence. None of us was caught by Brother Albinus as we always out performing him.

When I became a student of SHS, I entered the school through these holes. Again the area of the tennis court and squash court are heavily guarded by prefects but most of them are neighbourhood boys who also entered the school through the holes. That's why we never get caught. The holes in the fence helped us in never getting late to the school and we are the first one to reach home after school.

The holes in the fence never repaired until one day, a big hall was built at the old tennis court site. Then there was a big guarded gate replacing the small holes at the chain link fencing.

My parents still keep the house and the house is now leased to SHS teacher.

1 comment:

Heroes said...

Yeah, i still recalled and fresh in my mind that the holes of the chain link fence made my trip to school shorter as normally i walked to school.

I knew u when we were in the same class in Form 1 and became good friends. Oh yeah, i still remembered that one day, your parents bought you a computer and almost eveyday we went to your house to play game. Apart from that, you always be the first one to have something latest in the market. So we as your friends also have privillege to enjoy it too, right.

I usually park my bicycle at your house and went to play squash during afternoon time.