Saturday, July 19, 2008

My old and new camera

Since the introduction of digital camera, photography has been make affordable. There is always a factor of uncertainty with the traditional film camera. The end result could only be determined after the film being developed. It is an expensive process where each photo will cost 50 cents and the photo might come out blur. With the digital camera, the hardisk is the only limitation. The portable drive solve the problem now as the hardisk of the computer is free out.

My first digital camera is inherited from my father. It was a Fujifilm 1.3 Megapixel camera. My father bought it at 2000 and took it with him for his China trip. The image result was dissapointing for him and he decided to stick with the traditional film camera and gave it to me. I soon find out that the macro was turned on and he used it to shoot all the photos. Not the fault of the camera. In fact this is a superb camera which is much better than a lot of digital cameras that I have used. I will talk about these very old digital camera some other times. Fujifilm gave me a very good impression due to this very first digital camera under my collection.

I bought a Canon S51S on Thursday on my way home after I dropped my workmate to collect his car at the workshop. I bought it at Harvey Norman. I make a comparision between the Canon S51S and the Fujifilm S5600 that I am using now.




This is the Fujifilm S5600 that I have used for the pass year. I have no complain on this camera and it is a beauty. It is 5.1 Mega Pixel and 10X optical zoom. S5600 is a point and shoot camera but with option for manual control that I never use. Most of the photo in this blog are taken by the S5600. I am 100% satisfied with what it offers. The grid is superb and the feeling is good. This camera set me back at $300.

The reason I bouught a new camera is I want to have much better resolution and bigger zoom. I have considered Canon S51S and Nikon P80. The Nikon P80 is 10 Mega pixel and has 18X zoom. It is a powerful feature inside a small camera. Even DSLR can't match the feature. The review that I have is you will never go wrong with the S51S. The photo quality is good and it has fast response time. The review on the Nikon P80 is not that impressing. Almost all reviews commented the camera response is sluggish. Better think twice before purchasing. Both camera are selling almost the same price with the Nikon a bit dearer. I go for the Canon and I lost 2 Mega pixel and 6X zoom. I hope it is a right choice.




This is my new camera and an investment of $530. It weight the same as the Fujifilm S5600 but a lot shorter when the camera is turned off due to the len is retracted inside the camera. I am still exploring with what this camera can offer. Beside the bigger zoom 12X and higher resolution 8 Mega pixel, I still can't find its advantage over the Fujifilm S5600. It does not have the firm grid as the S5600. The S5600 feels more solid in turn of handling compared to the S51S. I only took a few photos with the S51S and this is insufficient to justify its capability. The LCD display which can be twisted is an atrractive feature and I don't have to bend or kneel down like before to took the photo of my little girl. S51S also has the image stabilizer which is not offered by S5600. How good it is I still don't now. The S5600 photo was taken by S51S and S51S photo was taken by S5600. Which one is better?

3 comments:

Heroes said...

From the photos taken by your old & new baby, I really can't instantly make a conclusion which one is better as you took from different angle. I think your chin were or almost on floor when you took the photos of your old baby using new baby, whereas you were standing while taking your new baby with your old baby.

Anyway people always like new baby.. :-) Hope to see more nice photos from your new baby...

William said...

The new baby has a LCD screen that can swing and twist. It is intelligent as I could take photo even in front or above the lens.

mygreatbuds said...

Ok. now I know the model.

Not new baby..but girl friend leh...